Page 1 | Page 2
This commission was organized on January 27, 1909, and was appointed by the district court.
This was established on June 10, 1909. There was a curling rink in the Recreation Building on the corner of Adams Avenue and Garfield Street. Curling was furthered and greatly inspired by the famous Dunbars, who had many champion curling teams. Curling teams from Eveleth won the Minnesota State Championship in the Merriam Medal Curling Bonspiel thirteen times between 1924 and 1948. The present Curling Club is located on Monroe Street, above the Monroe Playground.
There were several other clubs formed at this time. The Fayal and Eveleth City Bands were organized in 1904.
The Eveleth Gun Club had a building and put up a trap set at "ball park on Gun Club Hill." In 1910, its first annual business meeting was held. The grounds opposite the Iron Range depot were secured for use by the group.
Another was the Eveleth Driving (Horsemen's) Association. "Indiana Girl," owned by Mr. G. A. Whitman, won first place in one of the races on the track at St. Mary's Lake.
The baseball club was organized and played its first game on June 12, 1904 against Hibbing. Eveleth lost the game, 6-1.
Monitor Hall was built on the corner of Grant Avenue and Pierce Street. The American Legion moved into it in 1947.
Grant Avenue was first paved in 1910 with
granatoid. The area covered was 9,991 square yards. At once, the problem
of keeping the street clean arose, and shortly after that, the first two
"white wings" were employed and outfitted.
ADDITIONS TO THE CITY
A city extension election was held on April 8, 1910. The largest addition took place in 1922, when the Volcansek Addition (the southwest corner of the city) was added. This was disputed by the mining company, but the state supreme court ruled in favor of the city. Then, in 1920, the area north of Garfield and east of Grant Avenue was added as the Kingston Addition. In 1947, Welton's Morningside Addition was accepted.
This three-story building near the water tank had eight rooms for patients. It was built in 1912. It was established by the health department and W. S. King was in charge of it. The building had been moved from Jackson Street. In 1924, the St. Louis County established a trachoma hospital in the same building to care for a diphtheria emergency that arose.
First records of a cemetery were from 1913, when J. J. Gleason was the president of the Cemetery Association. The first burial took place on August 17, 1914, when Charles Anderson was laid to rest.
TRANSPORTATION AT THIS TIME
A street car first ran from the Park Hotel on Adams Avenue on December 12, 1912, and it continued until 1927.
In March of 1919, Virginia and Eveleth agreed to co-operate in building and paving a road between the two cities. In 1922, a fourth Packard bus was added to the Transit Company and it had a daily run between Eveleth and Virginia. In 1929, the bus depot was moved from the west side of Grant Avenue to the Rainbow Inn on the corner of Jones Street. The Miller Trunk Road or State Highway Number 11 was formally opened on October 14, 1922. The first train came into the Eveleth Depot on Fayal Road in July of 1923. Mail service by bus also began this year.
A new skating and curling rink was built
and finished in 1919, on the corner of Adams Avenue and Garfield Street.
This was the famous Recreational Building. Roller skating, dancing and curling
are just a few of the many activities that went on in this building.
A Ryan four-passenger monoplane named the "Spirit of St. Louis County" began the seaplane service on Ely Lake for hunting and fishing parties. The cost to charter it was $60 per hour. It had a base on Lake Vermilion also. M. S. Kingston, who was president of the Kingston-Rhodes Airways, said, "God gave Minnesota 10,000 natural airports." The seaplane base at Sky Harbor on Ely Lake is a continuation of this interest in flying.
In 1928, Mr. Kingston developed the idea of a municipal airport. The city bought 160 acres of land 3 miles south of the town on the Miller Trunk Highway for $19,500 from George Pappar in 1929. In 1947, contracts were let for an administration building, water line and septic tank. The runways had already been completed. In 1950, Eveleth began operating the airport jointly with Virginia.
The depression had an effect on the people of Eveleth as it did all over the nation. During these years, numbers of citizens took part in federal projects such as the N.Y.A. and the W.P.A. Six buildings were renovated, and the hippodrome, ball park and the lake park pavilion were completed by workers from this town. Eveleth gradually recovered from this panic.
BACK IN THE OLD ROUTINE
After the spectacular anniversary celebration that also marked the end of the war and the soldiers' return home, life settled back into the old ways. Relief and recovery were the main thoughts after the strain of the war. Evelethians did some improving of their town. In 1948, major blacktopping, which cost about $38,000, was completed.
MONROE STREET PLAYGROUND
The Parent Teacher Association undertook this project to make a playground for the children living in this part of town. Nine white ash shade trees were taken from the old Leonidas location and planted in the park. Swings were also put up.
NATIONAL GUARD ARMORY
Company F. of the Minnesota National Guard was organized under Captain R. M. Cornwell in 1908. There were 65 men at its first inspection.
The National Guard was federalized on Tuesday, January 16, 1951, at the local city auditorium, which was then the armory building. The staff of officers was composed of Major Michael Barberich, Major Wallace E. Olson and Captain Lester Perry. The present Armory was erected behind the Eveleth Hippodrome.
Parking meters were first installed in 1950, and they went into use on May 15.
Beginning on May 1, mail was delivered to residents of Eveleth only once daily. Carriers were out between 9:30 and 3:00.
The 1940 census showed 6,887 people in the city and the census in 1950 recorded 5,829.
OLD FAIR STORE
The famous Fair Store at 105 Grant Avenue closed in 1954, after 30 years of service. It was bought by the Northland Painting Company and remodeled into one of the most up-to-date buildings in Minnesota. A grand opening was held in January, 1956. Mr. Leo Bright was the manager of the company at this time. This building is empty at the present.
The Legion Club sponsored a youth center on Tuesday nights for the younger set. Sharon Kotchevar was the president of the youth group, Tom Modec, vice president, Joanne Jacobson, secretary, and Bob Gruden, treasurer.
On May 20, 1956, (early Sunday morning), the dial system went into effect. The project was put into operation after 102,000 man hours of work.
After much debate and protest, work began on Highway 53 to make it a double lane highway, bypassing Eveleth and Virginia. At present, the two lanes are complete from Virginia to Cotton.
In 1961, the old trees on Jones Street were removed, new sidewalks and curbs were put in.
In 1961, several buildings were erected:
MAYORS OF EVELETH
The first village officers of Eveleth were:
The first council meeting was held on October
25, 1894 in the Townsite Company's frame building. Later meetings were held
in the back room of Sletten's Store.
On April 1, 1902, Eveleth incorporated as a city. Charles Jesmore, then village president, continued as mayor until 1904, when Nehemiah B. Maxwell -Mike- was elected mayor.
Then, in October of 1913, Eveleth received a new charter for a commission form of government.
Eveleth's 50th Anniversary
Eveleth was actually 55 years old in 1947, but the celebration for its 50th birthday had been put off because of the war. The 1947 celebration was a combination homecoming for servicemen and a birthday anniversary. Thousands of past and present citizens were on hand for the four days of activities. Mayor Ben P. Constantine was Honorary Chairman of the celebration, Gilbert Finnegan and Leslie J. Tobin were co-chairmen of the committee, A. J. Van Buskirk was executive secretary, and Sally Shea Martin was in charge of the general headquarters. Many other people, too numerous to mention, did an excellent job in making the event as spectacular as it was.
1947 Celebration A Complete Success
From left to right are: Mayor Ben Constantine, John E.
Roy. W. Raph, Edward and Kent Fitzgerald as they landed on the Eveleth airport
from their large National
In 1919, the five Fitzgerald brothers started a two-bus transit line in Eveleth which extended to Virginia and then on to Duluth. It was known as the Range Rapid Transit Company. Their National City Lines was organized in 1936.
Program of Highlights of the Activities
Thursday, July 31 "City and County Days"
Saturday, August 2 "Civic Leaders and Governor's Day"
Sunday, August 3 Final Day of Celebration
They Clowned Their Way to Fame
The famous Eveleth Clown Band was organized
some time after the war. The extent of their travel is wide. In 1949, they
appeared in 21 different communities. They paraded between halves of the
Duluth Coffeville, Kansas football game and participated in the homecoming
festivities at Menomonee, Wisconsin. In W. H.
There have definitely been some excellent
teams and players in football, track, basketball, baseball and in any other
sport in this town, but the hockey story is
Mining... How Eveleth Got Started
David T. Adams first explored in this area
for a mining interest, acting for A. E. Humphreys. Following these explorations,
the first test pits were sunk on October 1, 1892. This became Adams Number
1. In this early operation, Neil McInnis was pay master and purchasing agent.
During the season of 1892-1893, 45 men were employed. With the Panic of
1893, Adams and McInnis did more testing, and the result was the opening
of the Fayal Mine. On November 1, J. H. Hearding, W. J. Olcott, and C. E.
Bailey arrived to look over the Adams Mine. Hearding was the superintendent
for the Lake Superior Consolidated Iron Mining Company. On November 2, work
began in this mine. On August 30, 1894, a railroad spur to the St. Clair
Mine was completed and the first shipment of ore from any of Eveleth's mines
was made. A total of 5,628 tons was hauled
Origin of the D. M. & I. R.
The Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range Railway
really had two separate beginnings. The first was the Duluth, Missabe and
Northern Railway, organized in 1891 by the Merritt brothers. Since their
discovery of iron ore in the Mountain Iron region, they became interested
in mining. Their problem was how to transport the mined ore to ports in
Duluth. They approached the Duluth and Winnipeg Railroad for a contract.
As a result of this, the Duluth, Missabe and Northern Railway Company came
into being without too much legal difficulty on June 11, 1891. The first
company officers were: K. D. Chase, President; Leonidas Merritt, Vice President;
S. R. Payne, Secretary; C. C. Merritt, Treasurer; and Moses E. Clapp, Counsel.
The Merritts later decided to build to Duluth, and this proved to be a bigger
project than they could handle. They not only lost their railway interests,
but also their mining property. One of their last projects was the Superior
Branch from Wolf to Hibbing in 1893. During the period of the Rockefeller
ownership, the Proctor yard was completed and the Adams Branch into Eveleth
opened in 1895.
From Iron Ore to Taconite
The Eveleth Taconite Company was organized as a Minnesota Corporation in 1963. It is owned jointly by Ford Motor Company (85%) and Oglebay Norton Company (15%), the Managing Agent.
Late in 1965 Eveleth's taconite mining and processing project was completed at a cost of approximately $45,000,000, all of which was private capital furnished by its joint owners. The project includes the Thunderbird Mine, which, together with the coarse crusher, is situated near Eveleth, Minnesota, and the Fairlane Plant, with its fine crushing, concentrating and pelletizing facilities, located near the St. Louis River, about ten miles south of Eveleth at Forbes, Minnesota.
Ford Motor Company's share of the pellet production is used in the blast furnaces of its steelmaking plant at River Rouge. Oglebay Norton's share is sold to ore consumers.
During the construction period, some 900 people were employed. Most employees were Minnesota residents. Eveleth now employs more than 400 men and women on a year round basis.
The company contributes more than $3,700,000 to the economy of Minnesota's Iron Range in annual payroll and taxes. Each year more than $10,000,000 is spent by the company for equipment, machinery, tools, goods and services, most of which is purchased from Minnesota businesses.
All Rights Reservedeb.com